Sunday, August 23, 2009

Pavlov's Jack

As you'll no doubt remember I washed out of Boy Scouts (literally) because I wet the bed. That was when I was eleven. I continued to do so till I was fourteen. I think that puts me in eighth grade but even if it doesn't I'm thinking about it so in it goes.
My parents took me to many doctors over the years trying to figure out why I peed myself at night. Shrinks, urologists, you name it. They also never really told me why we were talking to these folks. I was dragged from health care center to health care center and I still woke up in a sea of piss every morning.
Then one day my parents brought home a new device. It consisted of a rubber pad that went under my sheets and an electronic device. The device worked thus: when liquids hit the pad it triggered an electric signal that rang a loud bell. A REALLY, REALLY, REALLY LOUD BELL!!!!
No one explained to me how it actually worked except to show me the bell going off and setting things up and sending me to bed.
That night I slept like a baby, pissed myself and MARY MOTHER OF GOD WHAT IS THAT BELL, WHY IS IT RINGING, WHAT IN THE NAME OF THE LORD IS THIS SHIT.
I peed again the next night and I think the next two nights but then a miracle happened. Right before I had to piss I woke up and went downstairs and pissed in the toilet. I didn't wet the bed. And I didn't wet the bed ever again.
I thought at the time this was a miracle. I still do for the most part. But I've since learned about Pavlov's dog and I realize I was a Pavlovian dog. I heard the bell before I peed and woke up and went downstairs.
This was good because I didn't wet the bed. It was bad because I hate bells. I have to pick up a phone on the first ring if not sooner. Loud noises freak me out. Oh, and I don't like to piss or shit in any place other than a toilet or the wilderness (or pee in a back yard late at night when I'm drunk and happy). This was a real liability when I became ill with AIDS because pissing and shitting yourself are kind of day to day possibilities.
But that is for a post much, much later. For now I'm in eighth grade and my sheets are dry and the bell is muffled.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jack,

You already did this one on 3/8/09!

Jack Wiler said...

Ah, tis true, tis true! What a chowderhead I am. Now I have to come up with another idea:)
At least if it's a rerun it's been changed a bit. Think of it like "Bedwetting Part II".

Karen said...

Jack Wiler, you are amazing. You can talk about the most awful stuff and still make me laugh. It's a gift.
Thanks,
Karen

Anonymous said...

Jack, I loved reading your blog I just found it today and I laughed out loud at my desk. I lived in Wenonah at 107 south Marion Ave. My name back then was Carol Muffett I had 5 siblings and very fond memories of that old town. I still go back on occasion not nearly as much as I would have had I not moved to Nashville, Tn. I will keep a look out for your blog. Thanks, Carol